Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What I'm Reading Right Now: The Happiness Project

I don't often post book reviews on here; actually, I never do. I love to read, I've just never really been good about summarizing a book and my thoughts on it on this here blog. I do, however, have to tell you about The Happiness Project.


When I told my brother I was currently reading The Happiness Project, he asked me "Why are you reading it when you are the one who wrote it?" He was clearly teasing me about my obsession with positivity and happiness.

Seriously though, the moment I saw this book under my recommendations on Amazon, I knew I would enjoy it. The book chronicles author Gretchen Rubin's year-long journey to greater happiness. It's not that the author was particularly unhappy, but she realized she should be happier. Each month, she sets specific goals focusing on each area of her life and spends that month taking specific steps to achieve the them.

While following along on her Happiness Project, I've really enjoyed the scientific research she cites throughout the book, along with the several quotes on happiness I've never heard before. I've found myself highlighting and bookmarking pages on my Kindle like it's nobody's business. Some of my favorite passages:

 




 
There are so many times I'm reading along and find myself nodding along as the author talks about the challenges she encountered, her thoughts on happiness and things she learned throughout her journey. It seems kind of silly, but I feel like I get criticized quite often for having a positive attitude. It's almost as if people are dismissive, or don't take me seriously sometimes. It was empowering to read about how the author also encountered these people who criticized or challenged her project. And the passage about how it's more selfless to act happy, but people tend to take that person for granted...that one really stood out to me. I've been able to relate to all of this and really love everything about this book.
 
If you love this kind of stuff as much as I do, I suggest you give it a read!



11 comments: