Thursday, April 9, 2015

Homemade Acai Bowl

Hi friends! Happy Thursday.

I've felt completely exhausted all week and I'm just starting to feel like myself again today. All the Easter planning and prep took a lot out of me for some reason and I've spent most of my free time this week getting our house back to normal and sleeping as much as possible.

I cannot wait to fill you in on Easter and share some photos from our day, but for now, all I can say is that it was absolutely perfect. We ended up with about 40 family and friends in our home and I can't begin to tell you how much joy and love I felt having so many of our loved ones in one place. I tend to go overboard with crafting and planning this brunch but when it comes, I am in awe when I see it all come together and it is so worth it. Remind me to come back and read this next year when I'm up  baking at 1 a.m. the night before Easter. 

I will share all the fun once I have a chance to upload our photos and whatnot, but for now, I'm just glad to be making an appearance here this week. My sister and the kids are still visiting but they've been at my parents for a few days. They'll be staying with us tonight and tomorrow and I'm meeting up with them a little later this morning at Downtown Disney.


For now, I'm enjoying a quiet Thursday morning at home and it sure feels good. I'm also treating myself to another acai bowl, so I figured now would be a good time to tell you how I make this bowl of cool, crunchy goodness.


Before I get to it, I should tell you that when I was looking to make this for the first time, I found lots of different suggestions on how much of everything to put in here. This happens to be how I like to make it, but you can mess with the amounts until you get it to your liking.

As far as the main ingredients go, it's easy peasy!


Ingredients:

  • 1 Acai Superfruit Pack (I found these in the frozen food section of Publix but I've heard they can be found at Trader Joe's and similar stores as well)
  • 1/4 cup of almond milk (I think you can skip this or replace with protein powder or whatever mix-in you prefer!)
  • 3/4 cup frozen fruit (can be anything - bananas, peaches, strawberries, mango, blueberries)
  • 1/2 cup granola
  • fresh fruit for topping
  • flax seeds, chia seeds, almonds, pecans for topping (completely optional but I used flax seeds on mine)

Instructions:

1. Put acai pack, almond milk and frozen fruit in blender and blend. You want the acai base to be blended but thick enough that you have to scoop it out. (Too thin: add more frozen fruit, too thick: add more milk)

2. When you get to your desired consistency, put the mixture into a bowl and top with granola, fresh fruit and other toppings.

3. Enjoy!

See, I told you this was super easy to make. The best part is you can really make this however you want. You can skip the milk or if you're like me and love yourself some granola, you can add more granola or switch up the toppings depending on what you have at home. It's a wonderful thing.

Seriously, I'm thinking I may need to treat myself to one of these at least once a week because I can't help but feel like one of these adds a little something special into my day. On that note, I better get on with this day. I hope you all have a happy Thursday!

Have you experienced the deliciousness of acai bowls yet? What are your tips for making them at home?

1 comment: