Monday, March 2, 2015

Our Happy Home Gets a Makeover: Part 1

Hi friends! Happy Monday. I started this post at 10 a.m. and it's now 4:30.I'm not going to lie -- I am struggling today. Lack of sleep after a weekend of home improvements will do that to a girl, I guess!

I mentioned a few weeks ago we were planning on getting hardwood floors installed and once we decided on the floors we wanted, we didn't have to wait long to get moving. We scheduled the installation for this past weekend and in the meantime, we decided to also repaint the living room, kitchen and master bedroom while we were at it. We knew replacing the carpet with wood floors would make the space feel so much brighter, but switching it up with lighter paint colors would really transform our home. We've spent the last few weeks adding paint samples all over the walls and at this point, we'd only settled on our master bedroom color.



We were up bright and early Saturday morning to prep for the flooring installation and it didn't take long before our home was a mess of dust, noise and complete chaos:



The good news is that the guys who installed our floors are awesome. They arrived at 8:30 a.m. and when they left 12 hours later, we had beautiful wood floors in our bar, foyer and living room. They even helped move all of this out of our kitchen which was great because I was a tad stressed out by the chaos. Seriously, props to those of you who take on large renovations. Between the dust and the mess, I couldn't imagine this being a long-term situation.

With the guys coming back first thing Sunday morning to install the floors in our master bedroom, we spent the evening drinking wine (me) and moving everything out of our bedroom (Jonathan). We ended the day camped out on our bedroom floor watching Friends and soaking in all the fun of being in this together.

I was pretty eager to get back in the kitchen Sunday morning. While the guys got to work installing the floor in our master, Jonathan starting painting the base boards and I went to my happy place which is making Sunday breakfast and prepping some meals for the week. It was glorious. Our master bedroom was finished by noon and with the flooring installation complete, we were able to focus on putting our house back together. In the meantime, we decided to go ahead and paint our master bedroom. We had planned on saving the painting for another weekend, but since our bedroom furniture is so big, we figured we should paint that room while it was still empty. Plus, we already had our color picked out. We went with Sherwin Williams Winter Wood and I just love it. We are quite the painting duo and despite the ridiculous number of times I leaned on and/or bumped my butt against the wet paint, I think I was still a big help!


Okay, yes I am taking a break in the above photo but in all fairness Jonathan turned on Friends so he basically asked me to take a break and I couldn't help but sit back and watch him in action.

I'm glad we did because our bedroom looks amazing. With a lighter, soothing wall color and new wood floors, it feels like a totally different space.

We still have quite a bit to do including repainting the baseboards/doors throughout the rest of the house, painting the foyer, kitchen and living room and changing up the decor a bit, but we're hoping to finish all of that within the next week or so. When we're all done, I'll do a full post of before and after photos so for now, I'll just leave you with a photo of Taylor cat from yesterday afternoon. She found a peaceful place to sleep away from the chaos on a mattress in our living room. She was clearly less than thrilled with all the activity going on in our home this weekend.


It was quite a weekend! It was loud and it was messy but also absolutely joyful and exciting. Such is life, right? A sometimes messy, always beautiful work in progress. Hope your weekend was wonderful in its own way!

8 comments:

  1. I love home makeovers! I can't wait to see the before and after pictures.

    ReplyDelete