Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Mine & Ours: 2015 Resolutions

Hola! We're home from Cancun and I can't wait to share our fun with all of you later this week. For now, though, I'm sharing some of our resolutions for 2015.

Obviously one of my New Year's resolutions was not to be on time (it should have been) seeing how I'm finally posting this and January is almost over. I'm going to go ahead and say it's better this way because I can give an update on how we are doing almost a month into the year.

I'm pretty sporadic when it comes to making New Year's resolutions. In 2011, I think I made a list of vague goals, I'm pretty sure I completely skipped out on resolutions in 2012 and 2013 and in 2014, my only resolution was to be less frantic than the year before. To be fair, I think I did accomplish that one - I slowed down a bit and didn't over commit to things.

This year, I knew I wanted to not only make some resolutions for myself, but that I wanted to make my resolutions as specific as possible. I was glad to hear Jonathan wanted to do the same so a few days before New Year's Eve, we took a break from all our party prepping and we sat down together to discuss and write down our resolutions. We helped each other define exactly what we wanted to accomplish and how we would do it. What I love is that once we decided on our individual resolutions, we came up with some resolutions for us as a couple.


Mine

(one) Complete my volunteer training for Ronald McDonald House by March 1 so I can begin volunteering there at least once a month

I have been wanting to get involved with an organization and volunteer on a regular basis for a while, but I haven't made it a priority to go through the process involved. I coordinated a volunteer event with Ronald McDonald House for our team at work last year and decided then that I wanted to get involved on my own. I've already attended the volunteer orientation, but have two attend 2 training sessions and 2 shadow sessions before I can get on the schedule to volunteer on a consistent basis. I already have my first session scheduled for next week and I'm planning on knocking out the rest in February. I'm excited to complete the process and start volunteering there -- it's such a great organization.

(two) Lose at least 15 pounds by the end of March by cutting back on carbs and working out at least 3 times a week

I'm off to a really start with this one. Before we left for Cancun, I had already lost 4 pounds and I was sticking to my commitment of working out at least 3 days a week. I'd be lying if I said I didn't indulge a bit on our trip, but today I jumped right back into it and it feels good to be making some progress.

(three) Spend at least one hour a week reading the bible

I've been thinking about this for some time - wanting to devote time to studying the bible on my own. This has been going really well so far. I've been breaking up the hour throughout the week reading for 15 or 20 minutes before bed and it's been great. I hadn't even planned on this, but a friend of mine told me there was a Beth Moore Bible study starting at our church this month and I'm so glad she did! Last night was our second week and I am loving every second. The homework every week just gives me another reason to sit down and focus on this. 

(four) Start blogging again by posting at least one blog post per week

I'm doing it, I'm really doing it! I've told myself so many times over the last few months I was going to get back into it and I just couldn't do it. I feel like I have the itch to write again and I'm excited to sit down here and share my life and thoughts with the world -- or the handful of readers I have. Either way, I'm happy to be writing again!

Ours

(one) Pray more, worry less

(two) Hold each other accountable

(three) Keep cell phones and other technology out of site during meals together

(four) Join a couple's bible study/church group

(five) Volunteer in the community together at least once per quarter

(six) Play and laugh more

(seven) Live in the moment

These may not be overly ambitious but I think we can certainly stand to remind ourselves to pray more, worry less, laugh more and be spontaneous. We so enjoyed our marriage prep course through the church. We got to meet and get to know some great couples and really enjoyed the discussions. We knew the church also had a young married couples group and we've been meaning to get involved. Well, we'll be attending our first group meeting this Sunday -- I'm really looking forward to it! 

I'm feeling pretty good about all of this right now. We've got some great things going on individually and in our relationship. I feel like because of these resolutions, I/we have been more intentional with our time. It feels good.

What kind of resolutions have you made for this year? How are they going so far?

2 comments: