Sunday, October 17, 2010

Online Dating: Yes, I Went There.


Yes, it’s true. I did what most 20-something girls think they will never do. I decided to enter into the intimidating and scary world of online dating. I had actually joined back in November of last year, after drinking with my parents and sister one night during Thanksgiving weekend. the subject of my nonexistent dating life came up. I joked about how I had gotten an e-mail from EHarmony and next thing I knew, my parents had convinced me to give it a try and we stayed up until 2 in the morning creating my profile together. This is one of many examples of how amazingly supportive my family is, but I digress.

See, I always thought of online dating as a desperate attempt, only made by people who were older and had given up on finding love the traditional way. After talking with the rents about it, they helped me see it as just another way to meet people. Looking at it from that perspective, I decided to go for it. What did I have to lose?

I signed up for a three-month membership and had nothing to show for it after the three months were up. I didn’t go on one date and to be perfectly honest, didn’t really see anyone with much potential. While it would have been nice to meet someone, I wasn’t devastated, as I was keeping myself busy. I let my membership expire and that was that.

Seeing as how I originally joined in November, before I became the best version of myself, by the time April came around, I felt like I might be ready to give The Harm another try. That may have more to do with the fact that the second your membership expires, they start reeling you back in with e-mails about new matches, really cheap memberships and whatnot. Either way, somehow I ended up back on that thing.

To put it lightly, I had a VERY different experience the second time around. I went on dates, both good and bad, laughed A LOT, suffered through awkward silences, fell for someone and got my heart broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment