Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Fakeout

There is probably no worse feeling than going on a blind date, seeing a guy walking toward you and praying to God that he is not who you think he is. I’m sorry, but when that is how a date starts, there really is no bouncing back. The Fakeout is a guy I had gotten matched with on EHarmony and hadn’t really e-mailed too much before we decided to meet.

I should probably backtrack here and share one of my biggest rules about dating. It is this: “If you are a Yankee fan, it’s just not going to work out between us.” See, I was born in Boston and am a Red Sox girl for life. I can’t stand the thought of dating a Yankee fan, never mind the thought of introducing him to my family, to my dad who used to sell hotdogs at Fenway Park, Gate A to be exact, when he was a kid.

The Fakeout lived in Daytona, and had already told me he was a Yankee fan. I had no intention of going out of my way to meet him, as he already had two strikes against him. But judging from his only photo on his profile, I thought he was decent looking and when he offered to drive the hour and a half to meet me for coffee, I figured why not?

That brings us back to that miserable feeling I had when I saw him walking toward me. I had seen on his profile that he was 5’ 7”, but I guess I didn’t realize just how short that was for a guy. That, coupled with his receding hairline and really, really bad acne, you could say I wasn’t the least bit attracted to him. If he hadn’t seen me, I might have run back to my car (awful, I know.) I told myself I’d give it one hour, no more. I mean, I was buying a house; I had a lot going on. I had a thousand other things I could have been doing. There was no point in wasting my time or his, when I had no intention of moving forward with him. However, I did recognize the fact that he drove all that way, so I gave it one hour.

One hour later, I left Starbucks, at least being able to laugh off the horrific situation. Lessons learned: If a match only has one photo on his profile, be skeptical. If that only photo is from a distance, don’t be fooled. And most importantly, don’t ever sacrifice your morals. A Yankee fan is a Yankee fan and that is just never going to be okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment