Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Doing Big Things

It doesn’t need to be said that the year 2010 was already bringing me lots of new experiences, to say the least. By the time March came around, I had clearly already shaken up things in my dating world. It was time to make some big life moves. 


For a while, I had been staying in shape by working out regularly and was for once really enjoying working out and eating healthy. Not to mention, Stella had a positive effect on my eating habits, as I had no appetite the whole month of January and lost 10 pounds…best diet I’ve ever been on. I was getting a little bored with my regular workout routine and was ready to challenge myself a little more. I’ve never been much of a runner. Between my D/DD breasts and a lack of endurance, any attempt at becoming a runner wasn’t very successful in the past. One day at work, we were talking about working out and next thing I knew, my coworker Russell (who is also my very dear friend and referred to by me as my gay uncle) and I had signed up for the 9th Annual UMC Windermere Run Among the Lakes. I was about to attempt to run my first 5K and only had about a month to prepare. I wasn’t trying to come in first place; I wasn’t even trying to run fast. I just wanted to run the entire thing and that I did.

On the most beautiful morning in April, I finished the run in 35 minutes and my mom, my biggest fan, my soul sista…was waiting at the finish line cheering me on. I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking back on it.

I had been house hunting for about a month. Being so happy with my life and living life for myself, I had come to the conclusion that I didn’t see myself leaving the Orlando area any time soon. It was time to get settled somewhere of my own. No more moving every 6-12 months, no more keeping my favorite things in my parents’ garage, no more throwing money away on rent. The moment I walked into the cute, three bedrooms, two and a half bath townhouse in Winter Garden, I knew it was the one.

Buying a house is one of the most stressful and exciting things I’ve ever been through. I moved into that house on May 20, 2010. I was sad to leave my very best friends and roommates, but thrilled to be living with my sister who had been living in Texas for a few years. I won’t get into the details of how exciting and overwhelming this process was, but I will say that I was reminded again how wonderfully supportive my parents are and how I can really do anything I set my mind to.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment