Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gratitude Overload

"It is not happy people who are thankful; it is thankful people who are happy."
I honestly don't know if there is a better feeling than the feeling I get when I arrive at my parents' house for a holiday. It's as if any stress, anxiety or concern I've been carrying around just falls off my shoulders as soon as I pull into the driveway. 

It's Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday. I cried happy tears three times before I even got here today. I can't help it; I'm an emotional lady and I get overwhelmed easily when I start to think about all there is to be thankful for. There are so many things; big things like life in general and simple things like the banana pizza dessert at Cafe Tu Tu Tango. 


It honestly wouldn't be a celebration unless I presented an exhausting list to you, so here we go. 


Today I'm feeling thankful for:

  • Books
  • York peppermint patties
  • Finding a roommate this year who has become a very dear friend of mine
  • Blake. This little boy brings me so much joy.
  • Optimism
  • The smell of rain
  • My job
  • The not-so-great things in life, because they make the good stuff stand out so much more
  • Country music
  • How I feel driving home after a really good workout
  • Rainbows
  • Having people in my life who accept me completely
  • My quirkiness
  • Being part of such a fun, loving, supportive family
  • Tears of joy
  • Anyone who has come into my life and treated me unfairly or didn't appreciate who I am. Because those people left, it made room for the good ones
  • Songs that make me want to twirl
  • Unexpected morning phone calls from my mom
  • My health
  • The new Taylor Swift album
  • Pinterest. Where else could I find all the best cupcake recipes and inspirational quotes in one place?
  • The quote, “Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.” This quote has helped me see the bright side in so many negative situations. 
  • My girlfriends
  • Knowing that one day I will look back and laugh at how confusing dating is to me right now
  • Blueberry vodka
  • Friendly customer service employees
  • How it feels to wake up in the morning with the sun shining through the windows
  • EVERY DAY

Life isn't perfect. Horrible things happen sometimes. I've been sick. My heart has been broken. I've experienced sadness. But, in all of those times, there has always been something, even something small, to be thankful for. Sometimes you have to search a little more than others for the good and that's okay. Those situations help you appreciate the small things. They make you realize how blessed you really are. We've all got to start seeing the perfection in less-than-perfect situations. 

For all those not-so-great situations, I feel like we get so many more days where the good is so overwhelming you don't know how you got to be so lucky. Those are the days when you go to count your blessings and you don't even know where to begin so you just close your eyes and thank God. 
That is me today; overwhelmed with gratitude. 
Tell me...
What are you feeling most thankful for today?

12 comments: