Thursday, September 27, 2012

Introducing The Dog Whisperer

Signing Blake up for puppy training classes was an absolutely wonderful decision. Let me tell you why.

The obvious: Blake is obviously adorable, but like any other puppy he is fulllllll of energy. Sometimes the energy makes him behave badly. I love him to death, but I didn't want to be one of those moms with no control over her child. I finally sucked it up a few weeks ago and signed him up for the 6 week training class at PetSmart.

From the get-go I had a wee bit of a crush on Blake's dog trainer. He's always been so nice and so helpful. He's good with Blake and he's good with me trying to deal with Blake. And gosh darn it, what it is about men and puppies that is so freaking cute?!? Same with men and babies. If either of these things don't do anything for you, please explain.

Anyway...we've spent the last few Sunday mornings getting to know each other during training classes. In other words, he has learned the following about me:

- I have no patience. There have been several classes where Blake was basically saying a big F you to the training lesson that day leading me to nearly cry out of frustration.
 
- I am late roughly 90% of the time. If I'm not late, I am still a little frantic for some reason.
 
- What I look like without makeup, in workout clothes, hungover and what I look like when I am completely pulled together.
 
- That sometimes I have trouble controlling my cursing. Specifically when the children come to class with their parents and pets.
 
After a few weeks, we started trying to meet up at the dog park on Sunday evenings and finally ended up meeting up on a weeknight to walk Blake through the downtown area near my house, stopping for a beer and getting to know each other a little better.

We met up on Saturday to watch football downtown with my roommate and it was pretty clear that he was digging me (digging?) too.

Well last night we went on a date. He took me to dinner and we chatted over margaritas.

We had a great time and when we got home, he walked me to the door and hugged me goodbye and that was that. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that he didn't kiss me goodbye. I walked inside and leaned against the door for a minute overanalyzing everything I said or did during our date and did what I always do in situations like this: consult my mother. I told her I had a great time, but that he wasn't coming on very strong and honestly I'm having a hard time reading into whether or not he is interested.

The interest is definitely there, it just might take time to see how compatible we are as we get to know each other better. It's okay to take it slow. It might be exactly what I've been needing to do with someone.

So yeah...Blake is learning better behavior and signing him up for training was well worth it.

5 comments: