Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Staying on Track

source
It's hard to believe it's already been over a month since I wrote this post telling you I was getting back on the fitness train. The last few weeks have flown by and I'm happy to report that I haven't fallen off!

The last month has consisted of healthier eating, regular exercise, more activity and better choices overall. I feel great and I'm so glad I'm finally back to where I want to be. I've made several claims over the last few years about getting back in shape, eating better, changing my diet, etc., but I feel like I am more committed this time than ever before.

You may be wondering...what makes this time different than all the others?

-- I haven't been thinking of myself as being on a diet. I'm simply trying to make better choices and finding what works for me.

-- I haven't set some unreasonable goal to lose this many pounds by this date. The weight will go down if I'm doing things right. That's enough to keep me going.

-- I haven't been working out 4 times a week because I feel like I have to, but because I know I'll enjoy the challenge once I get going and feel great afterward.

-- I haven't been dreading the gym and looking for excuses not to go. I've found once I got back in the routine and stopped thinking of the gym as a negative activity, I made it a priority and actually want to go every day.

-- I haven't committed to a trendy diet plan that makes me feel like I am starving myself. I still treat myself and go a little off track some days, but I don't use that as an excuse to fall of the wagon completely.

-- I'm not looking for a "quick fix" for any of the changes I want to make. I know that I'm not going to get where I want to be if I don't put in the time and work.

-- I'm mixing it up. Getting into a workout rut is the biggest cause of me falling off the wagon before. I am still running at least 3 times/week to get ready for the 5K, but I make sure to mix it up with the stairmaster or elliptical on nights I don't run. I've taken up yoga on Saturday mornings to add a whole new element to my fitness routine. I'm making sure to keep up with my strength training so I can continue to tone my back, chest and arms. I'll never get bored at this rate!

can't find a source for this one
It's been just over a month and although I didn't weigh myself at the start of this and I don't "weigh-in" every week, I know I've lost at least a few pounds. My clothes fit better and clothes I didn't feel comfortable in a month ago now fit great.

I'm currently stuck at a 2.5 mile run and need to build up to a 5K before September 22nd, so that is the only specific goal I have going on right now. By simply running 3-4 times a week I've already seen a huge difference in my body and that is all the motivation I need to keep it up. I've also made a totally random and awesome cardio playlist and I've found this makes a huge difference! I'll have to share that with you in another post because I'm always looking for good songs to add to it.

I still drink and eat out on the weekends, but I'm trying to make better decisions when I do that. I love beer, but that doesn't mean I have to drink it everytime I go out, so I've been sticking to flavored vodka and soda water for the most part unless I'm at a place where (1) the beer selection is too good to pass up or (2) I'm watching sports or hanging out with my guy friends at the dive bar we go to. I've also cut back on how much I eat when I do eat out. Just because I order something not-so-healthy, doesn't mean I have to eat the whole thing.

The best part of all of this is that I haven't been frustrated by a strict, hard-to-maintain diet. I'm enjoying the healthier lifestyle and the times I treat myself to something sweet or unhealthy are truly a treat, rather than just another unhealthy meal or snack. I'm feeling great and excited to keep up with these new habits!

Tell me...

What helps you stay on track? What are you doing to stay in shape?

8 comments:

  1. Nothing at all is cost-free in this world, but ensure that you Buy facebook reviews solitary from legitimate sources for productive acceptance on the internet. buy facebook 5 star reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. For boosting your chances of winning you must go for this service to ensure that you could be in win-win situation. buy real usa facebook likes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you currently eager to gain level of popularity shortly? Online community site Twitter might be the ideal path for you. buy twitter followers Next, you require to purchase twitter followers to become well-known to this world.

    ReplyDelete