Monday, September 7, 2015

My return from an unintentional blogging break


Well, there I went and took another unintentional blogging break. I have no reasonable excuse other than the fact that I forgot to blog for a few weeks and when I would try to convince myself to come home from work and write something - anything, I just couldn't even bring myself to sit down at the computer. Writing is a lot like exercise for me. It's a good habit and once I get into a habit, I can't imagine not doing it. But just like exercise, if I take a few weeks off, it gets harder and harder to get myself to start again. The good news is my exercise routine is on point right now so it's time to turn my attention to writing and bring this blog to life again.

The timing couldn't be better. After a weekend full of social events and festivities, I'm enjoying my Labor Day at home alone while Jonathan is working. I feel like it's been a hectic several months, but then again I think I always feel that way. Anyway, I am enjoying having nothing I really have to do today. I got up and went to boot camp, picked up groceries and planned our meals for the week, cleaned up around the house, watched an episode of Friends and before I knew it, I had a few hours to kill before starting dinner. It was like the stars aligned and I knew I just needed to hop on the opportunity to pay a visit to this deserted place I love so much.


I haven't blogged since what, June? We have lots to catch up on and I'll get you all up to speed eventually, but right now I just want to share what's on my heart today. 

I used to keep a gratitude journal by my bed and it was my intention every night to make a short list of things I was thankful for before I crawled into bed each night. It was a good habit and I need to pick it back up. No matter what went on each day, it helped me focus on all good things before drifting off to sleep. I'm going to make every effort to get back into this habit so today, I am using this blog as my gratitude journal. Right now, here are just a few of the things I'm feeling ever so grateful for.
  • I mentioned Jonathan had to work today. I woke up not long after he left for the day and came into the kitchen to find the book in the photo above and his coffee mug sitting on the kitchen table. I didn't roll my eyes because this husband of mine didn't clean up after himself. Instead, I smiled to myself because in his every day rush to get out the door this morning, this man I love so much sat down to enjoy his coffee and spend a few minutes reading His Word. He then texted me a while later telling me he left the book out for me to read the same pages. I'm so thankful not only for his faith, but for him helping me and inspiring me to grow stronger in my faith. 
  • We've spent the last few days having all kinds of fun with friends and family. After a double date with my friend, Laura and her soon-to-be hubby on Friday night and an awesome day/night with Jonathan's group of friends from high school and their significant others, I feel so lucky to have such great friendships in our lives. I'm especially thankful that Jonathan's friends have become mine and visa versa and that their significant others are women I'm so proud and lucky to call my friends. We closed our weekend with a birthday celebration for my dad and it goes without saying that I am forever grateful for our family.
  • I'm super thankful for Pinterest. I feel like I was over it for a while and just didn't have any desire to hop on and pin away. Lately, with a few things we want to do in the house, I've been back on looking for inspiration and ideas and it's like I've fallen in love with it all over again. 
  • It's September and while the weather doesn't exactly change for the better quite yet here in Orlando, just knowing it's only going to get better from here makes me really happy. With summer ending, it means Jonathan will start to slow down a bit at work and we have a lot of fun things to look forward to in the next few months. 
  • I'm thankful for God's love and grace. I can be stubborn and impatient and I have a hard time finding strength and patience when things don't go the way I planned. I'm thankful because He knows my heart and he loves me anyway. He also knows what he's doing in our lives and he's got it under control. Knowing this brings me peace and comfort in those moments of frustration and impatience.
I think I'll leave it that for now. I hope you've all enjoyed the long weekend. Let's make it a great week!

4 comments: