Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stress Relief According to Me

For someone with a positive outlook on things most of the time, it may surprise you to know I have my fair share of meltdowns. I get stressed out, I over think things I shouldn’t, I cry a lot and I call my momma for guidance and support several times a week. I’ve learned that one secret to being happy isn’t being stress free, as that is nearly impossible, but finding ways to relieve stress that work best for you.

photo source
It’s interesting to see how differently people handle things like stress. Some people eat, some people drink, some get really mean and others shut down completely. Now, I don’t think I have any groundbreaking stress relief techniques (though some are wonderfully weird or so I’ve heard) but I thought I share them with you today.

Go to Target
I just love Target. I love the clothes. I love the home décor. I love that I can get my groceries there. I just love it. I don’t always have a long list of things I need to buy, but I love just wandering around, seeing what is on clearance, what new clothes they have, etc.
 
Dance around my bedroom
I’ve told you before I have very little dance ability. That doesn’t stop me. Sometimes, the best way to end a stressful day is to dance the stress away. ‘Breathe’ by Michelle Branch is one of my favorite songs to put on for this situation.
 
Exercise
Yep, I’m one of those people. Exercise is a great way to take your mind off of things!

Take a Bubble Bath
Obviously.
 
Lay on the floor of my bedroom
This is a weird one…I can admit it. You would be shocked that with several seating options in my bedroom, I choose the floor. There is something very relaxing about lying on the floor, in the middle of my bedroom under the fan. What? Don’t knock it until you try it.

Clean
Yep, I’m one of those people, too. Cleaning is therapy to me. Throw on some music and a few hours later I feel a little more relaxed AND have a clean little house.
 
Write
Another obvious one. I obviously love to write and find it very therapeutic.

Family
Any one of my family members can help me when I’m feeling stressed out. Whether I am spending time with one or all of them or call them to talk things out, they ALWAYS make me feel better.

Bake
I love to bake anyway, but it really helps me take my mind off a stressful situation. When I feel like things are spiraling out of control, I know I can pick one of my go-to recipes, put the ingredients together and end up with a delicious little treat. Plus, if cookies and cupcakes can't cheer you up, nothing will.

It really depends on the stressful situation, but I can usually count on one of these things to help me feel better or at least take my mind off things for a while. What about you guys? Any unique stress relief strategies?


4 comments: