Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Sweet Valentine’s Day Tradition


Whether you love or hate Valentine’s Day, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is all the yummy goodness you get to bake and eat. Last year, I started a tradition of making Red Velvet Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day and couldn’t wait to make them again this year.

I absolutely love to bake, but try to not bake too often because if I did that I would never lose weight. So today I set out to carry on my new tradition. I even found the most adorable sprinkles and gift boxes!
Overall, the cupcakes were a huge success, aside from the fact that after I put the cupcakes in the oven, I realized I forgot some of the most important ingredients, like cocoa powder and baking soda. I must’ve been really distracted, because I completely skipped that step and panicked when I realized what I did. I had to quickly take them out of the oven and dump each cupcake back into the bowl, then add the missing ingredients. Lesson learned: don’t start baking right after you wake up in the morning until you’ve at least had a cup of coffee or something.
 
It looked like an accident scene in my kitchen, red cupcake batter splattered all over the place in my attempt to save the cupcakes. I had batter in my hair, on my socks, the windows, the kitchen cabinets….it was ugly.

I am relieved to say that they still turned out great and my homemade cream cheese frosting was a huge success. .

I hope your Valentine's Day is full of sweetness!



2 comments: