Tuesday, June 12, 2012

on a mission.

Hello everyone! How's your Tuesday? There are so many other things I should be doing, but the A/C is broken in our office and I am doing everything in my power not to take a nap/leave/take my clothes off, so blogging is the next best choice.

I don't have a whole lot to report, but I do want to share some things I've been up to...

You all know by now that I try my best to spread happiness daily. I make a conscious effort to be a spreader of joy to everyone I come in contact with. While I don't always succeed at this, I try my best and I've seen the difference it makes to others. I've also seen how showing kindness to others can turn my day around and cheer me up.

Well, in the last month or so, I've really tried to take all of this to another level. It all started with the balloon adventure on my birthday. Handing out the balloons to strangers and seeing their reactions to the balloons and the positive quotes on each one really made an impact on me. It was something so simple, but actively going out of my way to spread joy absolutely made my day and made a difference in others' days. This got me thinking about how many other little things I could be doing for others on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

So...I'm on a mission. It isn't very clearly defined, but it's been a huge success so far. I've started making it a priority to conduct at least one Random Act of Kindness each day...something I normally wouldn't think to do. Here are a few I've done so far:
  • Everytime I go through the Starbucks drive-thru, I pay for the person behind me. This one is so easy and let's be honest, I do this a lot.
  • I picked up Chick-fil-a breakfast for my coworkers last Friday.
  • I tried to donate blood when I saw the bus outside the gym last week, but due to my hospitalization back in 2010, I found out I still have to wait a year before I can donate.
  • While buying food and toys for Blake at PetSmart, I've donated to their adoption charity.
I'm always looking for new ideas for Random Acts of Kindness. If you have any, please share them in the comments! I'd really appreciate it :)

Thinking a little bigger than RAKs...

I'm becoming a volunteer with Give Kids the World, a resort where children with life-threatening illnessses and their families are treated to weeklong, cost-free fantasy vacations. I actually have my orientation tonight and I can't wait to get started.

My friend Laura and I are also looking into becoming Big Sisters. From what I hear, the process for this takes a little while but I think it will be totally worth it!

People tease me about my outlook on life, saying that I'm not realistic and that life "isn't all rainbows and ponies." I know all of this. I've experienced enough of my own "thunderstorms" to realize that life isn't always perfect. I've experienced pain and heartbreak. I've lived through a life-threatening health situation. I've been in a bad mood "just because" on several occasions. I have good days and not so great days just like everyone else, but I've realized that my "not so great" days don't mean I can't spread joy to others.

I'm on a mission to make a difference and I'm really excited about it. Really, really excited! :)

In the spirit of kindness and giving, some of my favorite quotes on the subject:




5 comments:

  1. you are awesome. this post is inspiring enough. i go to starbucks wayyy too often, i think i'll follow along and pay for the person behind me- what a simple gesture that could make their day. love it!

    that volunteer opportunity sounds amazing and very rewarding, can't wait to read more about it on the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove your outlook on life. And the idea of spreading joy everyday, awesome. I wanna do the same and spread kindness n love to people around me. am definitely gonna step up my game after reading this!

    ReplyDelete