Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bon's Book Club: Wonder



I love to read but every now and then, I go through periods where I forget how much I enjoy it and I'll go months at a time without picking up my Kindle. Then I'll find a book I want to read and get hooked all over again reading book after book until I don't know what to read next.

I've been on top of my reading game in the last few months and in an effort to keep this up, I'm excited to participate in Bon's Book Club. I'm always looking for book suggestions and I love the discussion aspect. 



January's book was Wonder by R.J Palacio and while this isn't normally something I would pick out on my own, I really enjoyed it! Before I get to my thoughts, here's a short description from the author's website:

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

What I really enjoyed about this book was seeing how Auggie's confidence and bravery changed so dramatically. When his mother first brings him to visit the school and on his first day, he does his best to look down, to hide himself and avoid getting strange looks and reactions as much as he possibly can. As the story develops, you can't help but notice how little by little, he is more comfortable and confident and by the end of the book - well, he is basically a different kid than he was his first day.

I loved how Palacio changed the point of view so often! I got so much more out of the story by getting to see the perspective of these other characters, especially Auggie's sister, Via. She always was and still is Auggie's "protector" but by reading her point of view, you get a glimpse into her own challenges and struggles.

I think we can all use a reminder to be more compassionate and kind and I love that so many characters in this book are a great example of that. If you have younger children, I highly recommend this book for them. It's an easy read, the chapters are short and the lesson is one we can all benefit from.

10 comments:

  1. I love seeing the change in August too, those are the best types of books when the main character really grows. I loved this book, I only read it because of the book club, it's been on my to read list for a while. Now I'm kinda sad I didn't read it sooner! Definitely recommending it to friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing where I kind of forget how obsessed with reading I am, and then I pick up a book and can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too! I liked the different points of view in the story. I think the theme is made deeper by them.. Be kinder than necessary. Not just to people like August, but to those who goof and do not react properly, or make mistakes, or are sometimes just a jerk. Be kinder than necessary. In Jack's chapter there is that letter from Mr Tushman, he writes "One thing I've learned after beinga middle-school director for twenty years: there are almost always more than two sides to every story." I liked that line so much, and thought it went well with the entire theme of the book.. My comments are here - https://www.facebook.com/fieldsofheatherblog/posts/1056299051052909

    ReplyDelete