Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tucker Tale #5: Father's Day Edition

So, I’ve told you all about my momma. In honor of father’s day, I want to tell you all about my dad.

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.” Anthony Brandt

This quote always makes me think of my dad. He’s taught us one of the most important lessons, that family comes first and that we should always have each other’s backs and be there for each other. If you think I am obsessed with my family, you haven’t seen anything yet. My dad’s life dream is to build a compound for all five of us kids and our future families to live on. There is probably no one in the world that genuinely loves spending time with his family more.
 
When trying to figure out what we should get him for father’s day, I overheard him yelling in the background that he doesn’t want anything. I know that is true. My siblings and I all got to my parents’ house last night to spend the weekend together and I know without a doubt that makes him happier than anything we could have bought him.

For myself and all of my siblings, my dad has always been our biggest fan and unwaveringly supportive. Whether it was something simple like deciding to make a big purchase, making a big career decision or buying a house, we’ve always been able to count on him for sound advice and support. He has our best interest at heart always and he’s great at making sure we know how awesome we are.

Even though we don’t always see eye-to-eye, my dad taught me how important it is to speak my mind. He jokes about how he doesn’t “sugarcoat” anything and that is a huge understatement. He taught us that there are always going to be people who don’t like what you have to say, but that you might as well speak up for what you believe in.

There are so many reasons I feel completely blessed to have my dad. He didn’t have the best family life growing up and I respect him more than I could ever say for the man he is in spite of those things. He is a role model for us in so many ways and I feel so lucky to have him as a father and a friend.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad!

2 comments: